Photo courtesy of Kurt Wenner
The Black Diamond Mine was discovered in
1880. Eventually there was a settlement of about 100 people and a post office was
established on February 12, 1902, and a stage station was founded. Named for a mine
carrying a black mineral which the miners called "Black Diamond", it was a
silver and copper mine. The post office closed in 1908.
There are still ruins at this ghost town.
Foundations, Walls, Tramway Tower, Mine and Tailings.
Photos courtesy of Kurt Wenner
Below are excerpts from the Tombstone
Prospector about the "goings on" at Black Diamond.
May 5, 1902 - There is a great deal of
activity going on in the new mining town of Black Diamond. The smelter is being
built, and at this writing has made considerable headway, with ore enough on the dump,
when finished, to keep it busy for three months. The hotel is nearing completion and
is expected to be ready for business on or about June 3rd. This hostelry will be
replete with the most modern conveniences for guest. It will contain twenty sleeping
rooms, with office, dining room, store room, bathroom and a large and airy kitchen.
It will be furnished throughout with the best the market affords and when finished Mrs.
J.H. Bose will take charge. The company store is very nicely fitted throughout with
office in the store, storage rooms, wine room, etc. Mr. G.D. Marsh is manager and
J.G. Hearne, treasury manager. The store is not yet fully stocked and consignments
of dry good; groceries and hardware are expected every day. The site selected for
the townsite and smelter is well situated and very extensive. There is a telephone
wire to the mines, a post office and two houses.
May 1902 - J. G. Hearne, vice president of
the Black Diamond Mining Company and president of the Black Diamond Improvement Company
accompanied by his nephew, Mr. W.L. Hearne, of Pittsburg, PA., and Capt. Thomas Pidwell,
of Pearce, were Tombstone visitors today. The party were visitors on a brief
business trip, returning to the mines this afternoon. Mr. J.G. Hearne, speaking of
developments at the Black Diamond, says the big 200 ton smelter of the company is expected
will be ready for operation by June 1st. About all of the machinery for the smelter,
power, tramway, etc., is on the ground and being erected in place as fast as possible.
At the mines the already large ore reserves has been augmented by recent discovery
of another strike, which development is proving an important ore deposit, the extent of
some showing it to be of considerable dimensions. Nearly 100 men are on the payroll
and progress in all departments proving satisfactory to the management, the officials
being highly pleased at the prospect of the Black Diamond becoming an early and steady
bullion producer. The Improvement company at the camp have built quite a number of
residences and offices. The Black Diamond hotel of sixteen rooms and offices is
about completed, and it is expected will be open to the public in about two weeks.